During the past few summers, GCNA has hired a private security firm consisting of two uniformed safety officers to patrol our entire Gold Coast Neighborhood. The Safety Patrol (who are off-duty police officers) will be on duty protecting our area late at night on Fridays and Saturdays from 6pm to 4am the following morning, as well as all day Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays. They began on Memorial Day weekend and will continue through Labor Day weekend. The cost of this program is paid for by the Gold Coast Neighbors Association, proceeds coming from our fundraising events.
The Safety Patrol's Mission is to:
- Exhibit their presence as a deterrent to potential offenders
- Watch for disturbances or suspicious activity
- Notify the police of any suspect activity in progress
- Assist the police as requested with any investigations
- Identify any property damage for early notice to homeowners and police
- Intervene if citizens are physically threatened or in danger, using protocols applicable to on-duty police officers
- Observe adherence to community safety agreements by business owners
- Report incidents and safety recommendations to the GCNA Board
CAPS Beat Meetings
Gold Coast Neighbors Association encourages all members to attend the Chicago's Alternative Policing Strategy (CAPS) meetings. Hear the most recent crime issues in our area and when to call 911. CAPS meetings for Beat 20 are held the first Tuesday of every odd month at Latin School, 59 W. North Blvd. at 6:30pm. Any changes will be noted on the 18th District Calendar at www.chicagopolice.org.